Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Big Girl Bed - Part 2

So on Elizabeth's first night in her big girl bed, all of my fears came true. At 1:00 am, she woke up scared and screaming because she didn't know where she was. At 4:00 am, she woke up and ran down the hallway. At 6:00 am, she fell off the edge of the bed. By 7:30 am, when she officially woke up, not only was she glad the night was over, but so was I. I was so worried all night that I didn't sleep a wink. But even though all of my fears came true, she still survived. There were no bumps or bruises, and she eventually went back to sleep all three times.

Last night, Elizabeth's 2nd official night in her big girl bed, I went to bed exhausted and anticipated another sleepless night. But to my surprise, my big girl didn't wake up once! I was shocked! When I woke up 6:30 this morning, I couldn't believe that it was my first time waking up since my head hit the pillow last night. And at about 7:30 this morning, as I was getting my morning toast, out popped a little blond curly head that said, "Hi!" My big girl had awoken.

The lesson here. Well, there are many. But I think the big one for me is that kids are so adaptable to change. What I was anticipating to take 3 weeks, took only 3 days. And the fears that I had, well, they happened, but no one was any none the worse. We survived, adapted, and moved on, as we do in all things in life. And now I have a toddler who sleeps in her big girl bed at night. Yeah!

2 comments:

Mom of 2 said...

Oh wow, do I remember this anxiety. I still check on my "big" baby each night in her big girl room.

Sarah Markley said...

Way to go, Elizabeth! Looks like I need to get caught up on your blogs! =)

My Life As I Know It

The Blog of Robyn C. Liskey