Sunday, March 16, 2008

Waiting

Waiting. It's a lot of what life is made up of. We wait in line at the grocery store. We wait for a package to arrive in the mail. We wait once a year for our birthday or Christmas to come. We wait for a lot.

It doesn't surprise me that Elizabeth has already learned to say the word "patience." I must say that to her at least ten times a day. Although she doesn't quite know what it means, she knows that Mommy uses it a lot, so it must be an important word. She, at 23 months, has already had to experience a lot of waiting in her little life. I'm sure her next few words will be, "Just a minute, Mommy," as that is my other form of the expression "patience" to her.

The other day, a student in my classroom asked me what he could do when he was done with his test. I told him to sit down and wait. He looked at me and courageously asked me, "Why?" And I responded with a similar dialogue as the beginning of this blog. "Because life is made up of waiting. You won't always be entertained in this life. Sometimes you simply just have to sit there and wait." Perplexed by the philosophical nature of my answer, he went back to his seat and waited.

Why am I writing about waiting today? Because that is now what I am doing. We are patiently awaiting the birth of Baby #2. Part of me wants this baby to come now. My body is done being pregnant. And yet part of me, the part that is writing this blog, is content to wait because I know that life as I know it will be so different once this baby arrives. When I wasn't pregnant, I used to look at other pregnant women and feel envy, thinking "Oh, what a special time in her life this is." Now that I am here, I want to remember that thought because this is a special time in my life. Never again will I feel this child moving about inside of me. It is a surreal feeling that cannot be replicated. I want to do as Mary, the mother of Jesus did and treasure these feelings within.

So although I can't wait to meet the little one causing this earthquake of movement inside of me, I will wait until God appoints our meeting time. His timing is perfect, and I know that this child will arrive on the exact date that He has determined. And so as He has called me to, I will wait patiently.

1 comment:

Sarah Markley said...

Patience is well, hard. You perfectly put this into words, Robyn. You will be reaping an amazing reward for waiting: your new baby!

My Life As I Know It

The Blog of Robyn C. Liskey