Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Small Victories

Today Elizabeth ate chicken for the first time. Not that she hasn't been given it before. Or not that she hasn't tried it before. But today she actually put it in her mouth, chewed it, swallowed it, and asked for another piece. I was so excited by this momentous occasion (up until now her diet has consisted of cheese, yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches, potatoes, and bananas), that I cheered so loud for her, you would have thought she was a movie star or something. She, of course, loved that and was encouraged to eat more. I think she ate a good third of my chicken breast, which I gladly gave up for the sole comfort that one more item of food has been added to her menu. To say the least, it was a big day!

I think this is how God reacts when I do something that He is proud of. Don't get me wrong...I know we are saved by grace and not acts, but I do think He gets excited when we do things that show we are walking by faith in Him. Like these latest decisions that my husband and I have had to make. As difficult as they were, I think perhaps the Lord was cheering loudly for us, just like we were cheering loudly for Elizabeth and her chicken. Yep, these small victories in life are huge in the eyes of any parent.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

There is always a temptation to see God as a mean ruler who is so hard on us...but when we look at how we love it helps us better understand his heart.

Sarah Markley said...

I love small victories. These are the ones only mothers applaud! Small ones turn into big ones someday! Go Elizabeth!

My Life As I Know It

The Blog of Robyn C. Liskey